Thursday 6 June 2013

A belated blog...

Apologies for a very delayed next blog! Also apologies for a lack of photos on here, I'm still trying to work out how to put them on here! Life here in India has come back to normal now since our short holiday travelling more sites of India. It was a really nice week to spend away and I was so glad to get to explore more of this interesting country. We had alot of fun looking around Kovalam and enjoying the sunshine, not so much the intense heat though. We also managed to fit in an Elephant ride which was great fun and something you must do once in your lifetime if given the chance.

When we returned back to the compound we still had a few days of relaxing, largely reading and baking, whilst we awaited the children to return back to us again. We initially thought we had 2 weeks with the home children but the Indian government decided to give an extra week's holiday so we've had 3 weeks with them, with some of the older children returning earlier to start their classes, if only such a thing would happen in England! The majority of our time has been spent playing with the children here and doing prayers with them in the evenings but we've also had the odd chance to go into the school and help write out registers or move classrooms around, all preparation work for the start of school again next week. I have been told I will most likely be taking some Art and RE classes when school restarts again on Monday so anticipation is creeping in of what to expect and the difference in teaching in an English classroom with a thousand resources and helpful aids to here in the Indian classroom, which from the sound of is largely on contrast.. I will updated you all soon!

I've also really enjoyed our evenings here with the 3 different families, one of which has been visiting family and friends in Canada and England for the past couple of months so it has been great to start to get to know them and enjoy meals twice a week at their home. Us ladies have also started to make some of our own clothes which has been great fun to learn and something I will really try to continue when I'm home again; please don't all send your measurements at once! As it was James' 19th birthday last week, we also had a party for him to celebrate which was great fun with all the families together and their children; I also particularly loved having my favourite Indian food called Barotta which is sort of like a pastry pancake which you eat with a curry or samba (sauce), so tasty!

We've also seen some beautiful animals here including a snake, baby birds, some beautiful butterflies, lizards, huge toads, billions of ants, baby chipmunks and Labradors. All such amazing creatures of God and all so interesting to catch a glimpse of, especially the faster moving ones like the snake and lizards. Some amazing colours and looks. We also hit a bit of a monsoon week last week and had so much rain for the entire week.I don't think 'heavy down pour' quite makes the cuts for how powerful it was. It also resulted in us only  having a few hours of power over 4 days, something we really take for granted in England!

It appears I have a very busy few weeks ahead of me now with school starting so please do pray for guidance and strength when starting my classes. Also alot of inspiration for what to teach the children would be great, my teaching brain seems to be temporarily switched onto mute.I am still really enjoying my time here and all that India brings, I still eagerly await how I will next be surprised and amazed at something here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment